I recently saw highlights on ESPN of the Preakness horse race. It was a great race with many different story angles giving it a cinematic sense of drama all the way up to the shocking victory by an underdog.
Taking a step back from the sport itself I began to think – A horse race is a lot like life.
So how could this be true? Here are a couple of ways I see it….
- To get ahead and be prepared takes a lot of work and practice, nothing comes easy.
- When a big day comes you want to look your best: Nicely groomed hair, clean nails and eye-catching accessories.
- Even the most trained, the strongest, those with exceptional breeding and backgrounds sometimes get beat by someone not as talented or trained.
- If you want to win big you have to take a chance.
- When you think you’ve got it bad there is always someone else close by who is in a bigger hole than you are.
- Victory is only momentary. Winning today means the pressure to repeat is on for tomorrow.
- Sometimes you step in sh#%t and well….that just happens.